Your cart is currently empty!
Toxic Food and Plants
This list is comprised of commonly found foods, plants, and chemicals in homes, yards, and parks. We recommend doing an image search for each of the plants, so you have an idea of what to look for and what to avoid. If your pet consumes any of these seek veterinary advice.
- Avocado (This is mostly a concern for birds and ruminants):
- Can cause cardiovascular problems.
- Grapes and Raisins:
- Can cause kidney failure.
- Can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst, excessive urination (could lead to dehydration), hyperactivity, tremors, or death.
- Can cause vomiting, diarrhea, breathing difficulties, depression.
- Macadamia Nuts:
- Can cause weakness, vomiting, tremors, depression.
- Milk/Dairy Products:
- Not all animals can process the enzymes found in dairy products, and consumption can lead to digestive complications.
- Can cause gastrointestinal irritation, especially in cats.
- Use caution and supervision when you give your dog bones. Just be mindful that it is possible for bones to cause choking. Also, as the bones break apart, the sharp shards and splinters can damage the esophagus or punctured organs, which could mean surgery and a hefty vet bill.
- This product is found in gum, candy, toothpaste, mints, etc.
- Causes insulin release which leads to low blood sugar, seizures, and in severe cases, liver failure or toxicosis.
- Yeast Dough
- Causes bloat (which can be life-threatening) and major intestinal pain.
- English Ivy
- Fox Glove
- Mistletoe Berries
- Sago Palm
Toxic Household Items:
- Detergents/Fabric Softener
- Furniture Polish
- Nail Polish
- Pennies minted since 1982 (they contain zinc, which can be dissolved by stomach acid and slowly poisons your animal).
- Sleeping Pills
- Windshield Wiper Fluid
Visit www.petpoisonhelpline.com or call 855-764-7661 for a complete list of poisonous plants and household products. You can also consult your veterinarian for information regarding toxic foods, plants, and household items.
Credit: Robin Laclede